Friday, February 9, 2007

The Many Conflicts in My School

This is my first blog, so if I make a lot of mistakes or just do something terribly wrong please let me know on the comments page.

All right, schools everywhere have their fair share of conflict right? I would like to say that I go to a (high) school that doesn't have much. But, if I told you that I would be a liar. My school is admittedly pretty terrible when it comes to acceptance between students. In the past couple of years we have had a noticeable amount of my classmates switch schools because they got tired of the way they are treated here. The most recent being one of my best friends. As if that's bad enough, the worst part is that my school is a private school.

My friend that left, said that she was tired of being picked on by the people in my class, and in the other classes, and I figured that it wouldn't be long before something was done. But as usual I believe that I was wrong. Our Dean of Students, whose name is withheld, threatened to punish the primary perpetrators (alliteration, my English teacher would almost be proud), by taking them off of their respective sports if their behavior towards other students did not change. I say this because our school is severely obsessed with sports like football and volleyball. Well guess what, it did not change at all. In fact I have to say that things have gotten worse.

Before I go any further with the problem today, I should probably give you some background information. The whole problem, which is more like a never ending series of small conflicts, started around the time that I was in sixth grade. Back then as hard as it is to believe, I was one of the popular kids. I began to notice that there were tensions starting between a couple groups of my friends. These groups were the "rich popular" kids, a group that I was a part of depending on the state of my friendship with their two main "leaders" (I wasn't even close to being rich), and the group that wasn't terribly popular at the time (but would be later in my eyes and plenty of other people's anyway). I would associate them as having been my closer friends at the time. The aggressors were as one could guess the rich kids. I sided with my friends, and lost any chance of remaining a member of the "rich kids" who eventually tried to become their own gang of sorts. This conflict escalated for the next couple of years, earning our class at least one talk from a teacher a year about how to treat other people.

Eighth grade was when the problem temporarily subsided, at least i thought it did. This was also the year that the friend I talked about earlier first started coming to my school. She was immediately regarded as our "class prophet" because of her upbeat positive attitude, and because of her strong relationship with God (sorry if I offended anyone, but to fully understand the story you need to know this). She seemed to have an immediate impact on my class that lasted until about the end of the year. It was Freshman year when everything relapsed and became terrible again. This happened because she began to lose her influence, and a few people found her weaknesses. I was blissfully unaware of what was happening, I was busy making some new friends in other grades and re-initiating contact with some old friends (if you're reading this you know who you are). But enough reminiscing, I'll shorten the story to this; she got sick of it and left my school towards the beginning of my Sophomore year.

Now I am trying to change the way things work here, because the teachers and anyone else who could have any influence on them failed. So I am going to try again (I tried this once before but failed miserably). So I suppose that the purpose of this post is to try and find help from other people on how to deal with the problem, without getting in a fight or getting expelled. So please leave comments if you can help me. Thank you for taking your time to read this.

2 comments:

Fran "the man" said...

i'll help you storm but you need to tell me what i can help with. the only reason is because i used to be in those groups with you at some point but i never lost you're friendship in my perspective. so if there is anything that i can do just tell me. by the way i have a blog too it's
pudding-is-cool.blogspot.com

Fran "the man" said...

i forgot to say that you can put a link on your blogspot to mine
i like pudding!